Friday, April 15, 2005

LAMENTS

I AM A POOR PILGRIM OF SORROW

I am a poor pilgrim of sorrow,
I'm tossed in this wide world alone.
No hope have I for tomorrow;
I've started to make heaven my home.
Sometimes I am tossed and driven, Lord
Sometimes I don't know where to roam,
I've heard of a city called Heaven;
I've started to make it my home.

PSALM 13

How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?
How long will you hide your face from me?
How long must I bear pain in my soul,
and have sorrow in my heart all day long?
How long shall my enemy be exalted over me?
Consider and answer me, O Lord my God!
Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep the sleep of death,
and my enemy will say, "I have prevailed";
my foes will rejoice because I am shaken.

PSALM 22

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
Why are you so far from helping me, from the words of my groaning?
O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer;
and by night, but find no rest.

Yet you are holy,
enthroned on the praises of Israel.
In you our ancestors trusted;
they trusted, and you delivered them.
To you they cried, and were saved;
in you they trusted, and were not put to shame.

But I am a worm, and not human;
scorned by others, and despised by the people.
All who see me mock at me;
them make mouths at me, they shake their heads;
Commit your cause to the Lord; let him deliver--
let him rescue the one who delights!"

Yet it was you who took me from the womb;
you kept me safe on my mother's breast.
On you I was cast from my birth,
and since my mother bore me you have been my God.
Do not be far from me,
for trouble is near
and there is no one to help.

Many bulls encircle me,
strong bulls of Bashan surround me;
they open wide their mouths at me,
like a ravening and roaring lion.

I am poured out like water,
and all my bones are out of joint;
my heart is like wax;
it is melted within my breast;
my mouth is dried up like a potsherd,
and my tongue sticks to my jaws;

You lay me in the dust of death.
For dogs are all around me;
A company of evildoers encircles me.
My hands and feet have shriveled;
I can count all my bones.
They stare and gloat over me;
They divide my clothes among themselves,
and for my clothing they cast lots.

Ah, God! Behold my grief and care. Fain would I serve Thee with a glad and cheerful countenance, but I cannot do it. However much I fight and struggle against my sadness, I am too weak for this sore conflict. Help me in my weakness, O Thou mighty God! And give me Thy Holy Spirit to refresh and comfort me in my sorrow. Amid all my fears and griefs I yet know that I am then in life and death, and that nothing can really part me from Thee; neither things present, not things to come, neither trial, nor fear, nor pain. And therefore, O Lord, I will trust in Thy grace. Thou wilt not send me away unheard. Sooner of later Thou wilt lift this burden from my heart, and put a new song on my lips; and I will praise Thy goodness and thank and serve Thee here and for evermore—Amen. (S. SHERETZ, 1584-1639)
posted by Rachel at 12:50:00 AM -
|


About Me
Name: Rachel
See my profile...


LINKZ
Archives